Grade Level: Grades 6 –10
Objective: To learn and share a variety of interesting historical facts about the United States while familiarizing oneself with the ABC the USA database.
Duration: 1 – 2 hours
Materials: Historical Timeline Quiz Bowl instructions, pen/pencil and paper or word processing capabilities, individual access to ABC the USA for all participating students
Instructions: Use the various historical timelines in ABC the USA to create a 10-question quiz; then administer it to a classmate while taking his/her quiz.
Assignment 1: Make your quiz.
- Review the various historical timelines in ABC the USA (see Historical Timelines under Reference).
- Select 10 interesting facts from across the 19 timelines.
- Write each fact up in the form of a question. For example, “Which political party was the first to make women’s suffrage a part of its platform?”
- Use these questions to write a quiz that can be shared with a classmate, preferably electronically.
- In a separate document, make note of the answer to each question and where you found it.
Assignment 2: Share your quiz.
- Exchange quizzes with a classmate.
- Use ABC the USA’s historical timelines to research the answers to the quiz questions.
- Look for clues in the questions to help you decide how to search. For example, to answer a question about the Underground Railroad, you might start by looking at the Slavery timeline. To answer a question about colonial American currency, look at the US Treasury timeline.
- Help your partner if necessary by giving hints.
- Exchange completed quizzes and compare your partner’s answers with your answer guide. Give him or her a score: 10/10, 7/10, etc.
Assignment 3: Mix it up!
- Switch partners and repeat Assignment 2 as desired.
- At the end of the quiz bowl, add up your total points. The student with the highest point total wins the title of Quizmaster.
Article written for World Trade Press by Jenny Fretland VanVoorst.
Copyright © 1993-2021 World Trade Press. All rights reserved.